10.22.2012

Today is THE Day - Nate Berkus in Target

 
{Disclaimer}  I'm going to apologize right now for this lengthy post.  I believe it's my longest post to date.  That should tell you how passionate I am about this subject. 

Let's start off this post by saying that I've been waiting for this day for months now {obviously because this is my second post about it.  See launch announcement here}.  And if you think you have heard enough about it, you should be my poor child and hubby. 

Well..... finally, today is the day that the Nate Berkus home decor line is launched in Target stores and online.  The Targets in my area open at 8am on Sunday mornings.  I know this because I looked it up so I could be one of the first in line to see all of the new accessories (approximately 150), etc. that I've been "teased" about.  So, I set my alarm at 7:30am, layered for comfort and set off to my local Target.  I even passed by a Sonic, which if you know me, I NEVER pass a Sonic without my car automatically turning in for a Dr. Pepper.  Anywho....   Once in Target, I grabbed a cart because I was going to OBVIOUSLY need a cart (or two) to hold all my goodies.  I thought about getting a flat cart, but I thought that might be a little much ;-)

Here's where it gets WAY off track.  Normally, my Target has a large aisle that has the latest and greatest from their "Featured Brands/Boutiques".  This is my "go to" area of the store because it always has the must-haves.  Instead of the typical awesome items, it had minimal items and they were all clearance only items.  I was discouraged.  I then went out hunting for my "pretend" hubby's (I mean Nate Berkus) beautiful things.  I finally found them....they had them all spread out all over the store..... and only put it on small end caps. 

Here are three pictures to show what I'm talking about.  Sorry for the photo quality but I had to take these with my phone camera.  I had fully expected to blog (brag) about all of my purchases AFTER I got home so I didn't think I needed to bring my big camera to Target. I didn't need to one more thing to burdened with because I thought I would be busy putting all my goodies in my basket instead of being bummed out!!!

Store 1 displays......  (this will make sense later)


Tiny end cap display of my "pretend" husband's amazing new accessories line. 
I bought the only 2 large decorative urns in the bottom right.  Early bird gets the "slim-pickins".
 
Bath accessories, towels, rugs, etc.....  how can there be an empty spot
in the upper right hand corner????
 
NB bedding end cap.  Better but still nothing like it should be. 
If I were NB, I would be VERY disappointed in how
all these products were launched and displayed at Target.


So after about an hour at my local Target store, I decided to go to another store about 10 miles away to see if maybe they were on-the-ball and had their NB act together.  Again, EPIC fail. The second store made the first store look like they had their act together.  And that's not a compliment!

Store 2 displays

Second store, NB bedding display.  Where is my "pretend" hubby's beautiful face?
Where is the sign that says here's Nate Berkus' awesome new line?  Instead it has the Threshold sign.


Second display:   
Again, no gorgeous face to be found! No sign.....

Here's a closer look at the second display. 
I was seriously on the hunt here for my NB. 
Still no signage... instead I found
only 2 picture frames mingled in with other clearance items..... 
It's like finding "Where's Waldo"!  Can you find the 2 frames?

 

This is like beating my head against a wall.
Again, no picture or sign......  Am I repeating myself or what?

Here's a large area in a heavy traffic are that would have been PERFECT
for most of the NB accessories.  Again, a missed opportunity. 
 

So I come home and decide to look on Target.com. Go here if you want to see the
Most of the items either tell me that they are "unavailable online" or available at my 2 stores, they are just not on the shelves nor can anyone find them in the back storage room. 
 
 
 
This is not rocket science folks!!!! 
But in case it is for you, here are a few of my suggestions for next time. 
That is if there IS a next time:
 
1.  Here's a genius idea, have the items available to buy in stores on the day of the launch
     (October 21st - 8am).  If that means you need to stock the items on the shelves the night before,
     then that's what needs to happen. You do this for Black Friday...why not for a big launch like NB?
2. Have better displays that tell what the product line is.  Not confuse the buyer or make them HUNT!
      Ex: Nate Berkus cute face, or the bedding photo.
 
 
With all of that said...... I'm off to my 3rd and final store to see if they have what they said is "in stock" on their website.  I might have to go in the back and get it myself!!  That's how much I love me some Nate Berkus! 
 
So again, {I think I'm a gluten for punishment} I take the big vehicle {ever the optimist} and drive to my THIRD Target store (in less that 4 hours). Hours later, I'm still feeling so bummed out. This event was supposed to be my pre-Black Friday event. For anyone who's a lover of home design (and Nate Berkus) you know that having his products in my local Target is GOLDEN!
 
Store 3 displays
 
Store 3: Great placement, good signage and stocked with loads more products.

This display and the one above are across the aisle from each other.
Again in a high traffic area and I found it right away.
So Store 3 was better but I still couldn't find ANY accessories!  No lamps, no trays, no boxes, no Nate Berkus book, no figurines, no bowls, no rugs and no frames!  REALLY!?!?  You get the picture. 

So after all of that work, I ended up with the 2 large decorative urns that I adore!!!!

Decorative Bucket NateBr Multicolored Circular


After searching on Target.com for my 3 stores, I wanted to purchase all of the following but most cannot be purchased online and NONE of the following were at any of the 3 stores that I went to.  Anyone else having this problem?!?!?!??

Decorative Pillow NateBr Gold SQUAR  Decorative Bucket NateBr Metal Gold CircularNate Berkus Earth Natural 5in 0.9in 5in5.3 X 5.3 X 4.7 Inch Assorted Decorative Figurine Collection
Nate Berkus Black Ecru 10.6in 5.1in 8.6in5.5 X 4.3 X 6.7 Inch White Decorative Figurine CollectionDecorative Storage Basket NateBr Rattan CircularDecorative Storage Box NateBr Bone Black Rectangle
Table Lamp Nate Berkus 17.75in16.1 X 2.3 X 1.5 Inch Assorted Home Decor CollectionNate Berkus Loden Jute Rug - BlueNate Berkus Snakeskin Decorative Pillow - Brown





I'm tired and mentally drained.  It's early afternoon and I'm pretty certain too early for a glass of wine or a much deserved margarita!!!!!  As a consolation prize I came home to my sweet Lola. 
Even SHE looks exhausted from it all!



 
 
 XO,
 
 

5 comments:

  1. More to come on my 3rd store... stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame! It was even worse where I went - they said they'll probably start putting the Nate items out Monday morning. Like you, I had been looking forward to this for quite some time, and I was so disappointed. I came straight home and was able to order most of what I wanted - that was probably around 10:00 a.m. - got the large gold vase, the urchins, and the brass bowls. I'm hoping to get the tray at my store tomorrow. Hopefully more of his gorgeous items will filter in over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy, I drove an hour to my nearest Target with a terrible cold and the strength of a kitten. I was utterly disappointed as well. There were 2 semi full end caps of bedding and bath with not an accessory in sight! I asked an employee to check the stock room and he came back with nothing. I agree that this was a major promotion and someone dropped the ball..BIG TIME! I would be utterly dissapointed if I were Nate Berkus. I am completely turned off bt Target!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your detailed post with pictures!!!

    I was just like you, I've been anxiously awaiting this day! I drove to 3 Targets this morning (one of them had nothing but bedding, which I don't need), though online it showed "in stock" on decorative items. But I've been to a total of 6 Targets this week. I noticed that three of them have been displaying items since last weekend--lucky me! I am now displaying the white urchin, the snakeskin table lamp, silver shell, the snakeskin box. The curtains are practically hidden on a far away end cap with no signage.

    I've also purchased, but I'm still deciding on, the white resin tortoise shell, the white resin frame, stone picture frames, white metallic curtains and gold boxes.

    What I really want and can't find: the black and white tiled picture frame and matching box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it's definitely disappointing that Target stores seem to be omitting all the good stuff. I am an absolute sucker for beautiful yet affordable decor. BUT, I'm glad you got the urns (so graphic and tribal-esque) and I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    And even though the photos of the Target displays were not attractive (shame on Target) you made up for their lack of proper display with your pics of Lola!

    BTW - it's NEVER too early for wine or margaritas, my friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete